Planning Ahead for Your Move
Moving Tips from Pink Transfer
Moving without anticipation creates unnecessary headaches when your big These are some tips to consider when you are counting down to your departure day.day arrives. Planning and maintaining a schedule counting down to move day helps keep you on track. Being aware of your target move day and planning accordingly can make all the difference when the morning of your moving day arrives. Rushing at the last minute can cost you and Pink Transfer knows this, so we’ve created a moving checklist to help you avoid just that. Pink Transfer has been in the moving and storage business for over 80 years so we have some valuable tips and lessons to share. Here are some tips to consider when you are counting down to your moving day.
2 Months or More Before Your Move
- Develop a strategy with a real estate broker for selling your current home.
- Contact your utility providers and notify them of your impending relocation.
- Start to plan your move by contacting Pink Transfer Moving & Storage.
- If you are moving because of your employer, find out the expenses they will pay for you and keep your records throughout the entire moving process. You may be eligible for tax deductions so check with the IRS or your personal accountant to see what expenses would qualify.
- Update your address records with social security and familiarize yourself with your new area if possible. You may need to switch to a different bank or find a new babysitter in the area.
- Begin the process of packing your current living space and deciding what you will bring with you when you move.
- Make sure you are taking the necessary time off work ahead of time so your employer can plan for your time away.
1 Month Before Your Move
- Decide if you need to store any of your belongings with Pink Transfer and confirm your move date. Pink can also store specialty items in our custom designed spaces suited especially for them.
- For any long-distance moves, make reservations for a hotel in the area so you have needed amenities available to you and your family.
- Organize your essential documents and make sure you alert the United States Postal Service of your upcoming change of address.
3 Weeks Before Your Move
- Pink Transfer can help you move, as well as store your items in case you are in need of long-term or short term storage for your belongings.
- If you are packing yourself, begin doing it now. Start packing your least used items and end with packing the items you use most often.
2 Weeks Before Your Move
- Pay your impending bills ahead of time so you don’t forget to pay them after you settle into your new place.
- If you are changing physicians, plan to have your records transferred to your new doctor or dentist office.
- Tend to your outdoor equipment. Drain gasoline and oils that may leak from power tools and equipment.
- Make sure to get your car serviced and have your oil changed prior to your trip.
- Make arrangements for your appliances to be moved if you are taking them with you.
1 Week Before Your Move
- Cancel monthly services you aren’t continuing at your new place so you aren’t charged.
- Take note of what essential items you use every day like electronics, water bottle, coat, and your footwear of choice.
- Plan on having a certain amount of cash on hand for the day of your move.
- Neatly pack your luggage and suitcases with your personal effects.
- Decide how you are going to pay your moving company for their professional services.
General Tips about Boxes
- Use boxes that are not too big or too small, but just right.
- Put heavy items in the bottom of boxes.
- Tape boxes tightly on the top and bottom.
- Keep items in boxes designated for particular rooms.
- Ask your moving company if they have specialty boxes for your artwork.
- Use boxes that are new and avoid boxes with water damage.
- Ask about a wardrobe box from your moving company.
- Packing books in small boxes helps lower the weight of those boxes.
10 Essential Tips for Your Moving Day
Pink Transfer Moving & Storage has made a list of some of the items you should have on hand during your moving day. Here are the 10 must-have essentials you’ll want to make sure you have to ensure a smooth, stress-free moving day.
- Important documents
- Phone chargers
- Laptop or tablet
- Healthy snacks
- A change of clothes
- Toiletries in an overnight bag
- Any valuable items
- An emergency first-aid kit
- Pillows for a long drive